Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Maybe There Should be a License Required...

The longer I live the more assured I am that parenting should require a license or at the very least some sort of examination before procreation occurs. Parenting shouldn’t be a right, but a privilege, earned and attained through extensive testing and analyzing of character traits. It seems like parents are either ridiculous with rules and regulations, caging their children like rabid animals that could break into a frenzy at any moment, or they don’t care at all! I argue for the reformation of parenting ideals. I want new standards and I want them now. Actually, I want them 10 years ago for goodness’ sake.
           The Glass Castle  is Jeanette Wall’s account of her life as a series of terrible parenting practices. She maintains that her parents’ neglect of her siblings and herself resulted in a heightened awareness of the trials of life, but how does eating scraps out of the trash can count as parenting? Neglect teaches, sure, but it’s still neglect.

No comments:

Post a Comment