Saturday, January 8, 2011

Wide Open Sails

Occasionally I hate change; mostly I hate change, yet adventure completely enthralls me. I can remember the days preceding my freshman year of high school—those were the days. I was scared and anxious, happy yet freaked out. Knowing I would be at the bottom of the tier was nerve-racking, but being in high school, feeling like an adult, reaching independence (or so I thought) was so empowering! Oh man, and graduating with the fresh perspective of college impending on the horizon, such a feeling cannot be paralleled. Well, maybe I don’t hate change, can I stay on the fence for a second? I love to entertain possibility and all it entails, but I fear the consequences of change. When it comes to spontaneity, I’m all for it. I really want to travel. New cultures and new places fascinate me, but socially I’m what you might call a hermit. I get better as time goes by but I’m really just adventurous in the stories I read and the dreams I concoct. My sails are wide open but I’m tied to the dock.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this and I can totally relate to being a social hermit while entertaining all of the possibilities. The last sentence is great. It's really vivid and sticks in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! After rereading it, I realized the last two lines rhyme. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My sails are wide open but I’m tied to the dock." This is gold. You are destined for magnificent things.

    ReplyDelete